FINDING: Most Mexican groceries, some well-stocked general groceries and via the internet.
CHOOSING: Each of the commercially available brands of this coarsely ground, cinnamon- infused chocolate has its followers, Ibarra apparently being the most popular (at least most widely distributed). All are quite sweet and without the full rich flavor of Mexico’s best regional examples. When traveling to a region of Mexico specializing in Mexican chocolate (e.g. Oaxaca, Michoacan or Puebla), it is worth bringing some home. Chocolate is allowed through customs.
STORING: Dark, cool, dry place, well wrapped, for up a year.
- Caramelized Mango Tart with Mexican Chocolate and Pepitas
- Chilled Mexican Chocolate Cocktail
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Chocolate Tamales
- Chocolate-Chile Frosting
- Classic Chocolate Truffles
- Classic Red Mole
- Mexican Chocolate Chile Ice Cream
- Mexican Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Pepita-Mexican Chocolate Cake with Candied Ancho Chile
- Susana’s Black Mole