FINDING: In most Mexican groceries, natural foods (bulk) stores and some well-stocked general groceries. Toasted ones are occasionally available in the snack aisle.
CHOOSING: Hulled seeds give a fuller flavor and richer texture to sauces. Unhulled seeds (usually only available in Mexican markets) give an earthier flavor. Seeds that are clean and intact, with a vibrant color, are typically the ones with the fullest, freshest flavor.
STORING: In a cool, dark, dry place, preferably in a sealed container, for up to a month; frozen for up to 6 months.
- Avocado-Mango Salad with Fresh (or Blue) Cheese, Bacon and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Toasted Pumpkinseed Guacamole
- Spicy Caramel Corn with Almonds and Pepitas
- Key Lime Cake with Pepitas
- Ice Cream Cones
- Guava Apple Crisp
- Chillied Peanuts and Pumpkin Seeds
- Caramelized Mango Tart with Mexican Chocolate and Pepitas
- Savory Sesame-Pepita “Cookies”
- Luxury Guacamole Bar
- Pepita-Mexican Chocolate Cake
- Fish in Cascabel-Tomatillo Pipian
- “Frozen” Pepitoria
- Yucatecan Pumpkinseed Dip
- Yucatecan Tamales with Greens, Pumpkinseeds and Egg
- Tomato, Grilled Beet and Green Bean Salad with Toasted Pumpkinseed Dressing
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars