As restaurant chefs, we’re called on to have something for everyone—every taste proclivity, every dietary restriction. We occasionally hit the wall with desserts for vegans, desserts that don’t just involve a sorbet and some fruit. When we perfected this mousse, we felt we’d hit the jackpot. It’s super-rich and creamy. And it’s 100% satisfying, partly due to the unexpected avocado in the mix; it works magic here. Trust me, this is a good recipe to have in your back pocket, even if you aren’t cooking for vegans. While the mousse is delicious on its own, you may want to top each serving with a dollop of whipped coconut cream (look for one that says its perfect for whipping), a dusting of grated chocolate and a couple of chocolate wafers.
- 8ounces semisweet chocolate (I like one that’s around 60% chocolate liquor), chopped into smallish pieces
- 1cup unsweetened coconut milk (if yours is one that has a cap of coconut fat on the top, scrape the whole can into a blender and blend until smooth before measuring—no need to wash the blender)
- 1/4cup agave syrup (I like the darker one here, but either will work)
- 2 to 3tablespoons mezcal
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2ripe avocados, pits removed, flesh scooped from the peel
- Sweetenedwhipped coconut cream, for serving
- Grated chocolate, for serving
- Vegan chocolate wafers (like Nabisco’s Famous Chocolate Wafers), for serving
Scoop the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 100% in 30 second increments, stirring after each heating, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Scrape into a blender jar and add the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Blend on high speed until the mixture is homogenous and fluffy looking; you may find it necessary to stop from time to time to scrape down the sides of the blender to ensure even blending. Pour into individual serving dishes (something like 6-ounce souffle dishes, small bowls or coffee cups work well) or a 1-quart serving dish and chill until set—allow a least an hour. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream, grated chocolate and chocolate wafers.