We’ve got some great news: Rick Bayless is hosting a live-streamed cooking class on YouTube that’s open to absolutely everyone.
The class takes place Thursday, Aug. 5 at 6 p.m. (CST) at Rick’s YouTube channel and is completely free to participate.
>> SUBSCRIBE <<
What are we making? So glad you asked. Golden Fish Fillets with Roasted Tomatillos and Fried Corn. Perfect for a summer’s night. Not into fish? We’ll step you through an equally dazzling vegetarian version made with Summer Squash.
While you might find it a little unusual to bread fish or vegetables with corn flakes, it’s not only common in parts of Mexico, it’s also really delicious. And the accompanying esquites fritos are inspired by the vendors in Coyoacán.
The recipes, shopping list and equipment list are posted below.
We love spending this time with you and creating something delicious together. See you Thursday’s night!
THURSDAY’S RECIPE: Golden Fish Fillets (Or Summer Squash) with Roasted Tomatillos & Fried Corn
GROCERY AND EQUIPMENT LIST
Vegetables and Fruit
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 serranos or 2 jalapeños
- 1 bunch epazote or cilantro
- 3 ears of sweet corn
- For vegetarian version of the dish: 1 ½ pounds summer squash (zucchini or calabacitas)
- Box of corn flakes or Panko crumbs
- Broth—fish, chicken or vegetable broth
- Vegetable, olive oil or pork lard
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 or 3 eggs
Fish for the Entrée
- 4 fish fillets (5 to 6 ounces each); snapper, halibut, grouper, striped bass, cod, mahimahi all would be a good choice
- 3 deep plates or pie pans to use for the three step breading of the fish
- Rimmed baking sheet
- 2 large (10- to-12 inch) skillets
- 4-quart saucepan