Manteca de Puerco
FINDING: Meat counters in Mexican groceries; Mexican or German (or other Eastern European) butchers.
CHOOSING: Lard that is more tan than white typically has a fuller, roastier, rich pork flavor. By Mexican standards, the best-made will be solid (though a little soft) at room temperature.
STORING: In the refrigerator, well sealed, for up to 3 months; frozen for a year.
- Almost Oaxacan Grilled Tostadas with Chorizo
- Basic Tamal Dough
- Burritos with Spicy Shredded Jerky
- Cilantro-Scented Flour Tortillas
- Classic Pork Picadillo-Stuffed Chiles in Tomato Broth
- Classic Red Mole
- Duck Carnitas
- Empanadas de Picadillo
- Essential Simmered Tomato-Habanero Sauce
- Manchamanteles: Simple Red Mole with Pork, Chicken & Fruit
- Mexico City-Style Quesadillas with Cheese and Chile or Mushrooms
- Michoacan-Style Pork Carnitas
- Mushroom Tacos with Onions and Garlic
- Seared Steak Tacos with Cactus Paddles
- Simple Mashed Black Beans
- Stuffed Cheese, Yucatan-style
- Susana’s Black Mole
- Yucatecan “Pudding” Tamales with Achiote and Chicken
- Yucatecan Black Bean Dinner
- Yucatecan Tamales with Greens, Pumpkinseeds and Egg