- 12ounces whole milk panela cheese, sliced 1/2-inch thick (LaLa brand comes closest to what I used in Mexico)
- 1/4of a ripe Mexican papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (you’ll have about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from the skin and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice (you’ll need about 4 key limes or 1 Persian lime)
- 1/4cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh cilantro (thick bottom stems cut off)
- 1 to 2canned chipotle chile en adobo, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 tostadas (crisp-fried corn tortillas)
Place the slices of cheese on a serving platter, shingling them one on top of another.
In a bowl, gently mix together the papaya, onion, avocado, lime juice, cilantro and chipotle. Taste and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon. Spoon the salsa down the center of the cheese. Serve with the tostadas.